Dental fillings are a type of restoration designed to fortify a tooth after it has been treated for decay or damage. Thanks to modern dentistry, today’s tooth-colored fillings match the shade of natural tooth enamel, making them undetectable to others. If you have a tooth that needs extra support, you can turn to experienced dentist Dr. David Redford. He offers tooth-colored fillings at his Denver, CO, practice. These metal-free fillings can add stability to your tooth and blend in seamlessly with your smile. Reach out to our practice today to schedule your appointment.
A Closer Look at Fillings and Restorations
A dental filling is often used to provide support to a tooth that has lost a portion of its structure due to mild decay or trauma. For example, small to moderate cavities are typically treated with a dental filling. If a tooth has suffered more severe damage, another restorative treatment may be recommended. Inlays and onlays reinforce a tooth much like a filling, but cover a larger surface area. Dental crowns represent the most comprehensive form of support for a damaged tooth. Sometimes called a cap, a dental crown fits entirely over a tooth, encircling it on all sides.
Placing a Filling
During your appointment, Dr. Redford will first make you comfortable with a local anesthetic. Once your mouth has been numbed, he will remove the decayed or damaged portions of the affected tooth. After the tooth is prepped, a composite material will be applied to pits and fissures, making up for the lost tooth structure. Dr. Redford will carefully sculpt the composite to complement your natural bite pattern. A special light may be used to cure the material so it hardens quickly. Placing a filling is a relatively quick procedure, and immediately restores full function to the tooth.
The Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
More and more patients are choosing tooth-colored fillings when they consider the numerous benefits:
- No mercury – A small amount of mercury is often used in amalgam fillings. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) deems this material safe, many patients have concerns that exposure to mercury can negatively impact their well-being.
- No risk of allergic reaction – Although allergic reactions to amalgam fillings are rare, they can lead to symptoms similar to a skin allergy, like uncomfortable rashes and itching.
- Unmatched strength – Tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the tooth's surface, offering a level of stability that metal fillings simply cannot match.
- Cosmetic appeal – Metal fillings can detract from your smile. The harsh metallic color clearly shows when it is on the surface of your tooth, and it can also tint your tooth, giving it a grayish appearance.
- Incredible durability – Due to changes in temperature, metal fillings are prone to changing shape over time. Unfortunately, this can cause lasting damage to your tooth's structure. Tooth-colored fillings are not affected by temperature changes and provide consistent stability to your tooth.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Find out why patients are choosing tooth-colored composite fillings to restore their bite and smile. Contact our practice today to learn more about our restorative dentistry services, or to schedule your appointment with Dr. Redford.